Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Prayer for Strength and Patience

Today our scouts arrive at the Jamboree after many hours of flights and travel. Some have already been busy for a day or two gather in San Francisco, meeting and bonding with new friends. Enthusiasm will run high but tempers may run short as there is much work to be done.

For all this we offer up prayer for strength, physical, mental, and spiritual.
Isaiah 40:29
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

And just for good measure, a dash of Patience:

James 1:19-20
This you know, my beloved brethren. But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:14
And we urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with all men.

A student asked Soen Nakagawa during a meditation retreat, "I am very discouraged. What should I do?"
Soen replied, "Encourage others."
(Essential Zen)

No comments:

Post a Comment